Study in Cambridge
The city of Cambridge is a university town and the administrative centre of the county of Cambridgeshire, England. It lies in East Anglia, on the River Cam, about 80km north of London. The first town charters were granted in the 12th century, but Cambridge was not granted its city charter until 1951, when its history, administrative importance and economic success were finally recognised.
The city of Cambridge is mostly known for its one of the top five universities in the world, University of Cambridge, founded in 1209. The city gained its second University in 1992 when Anglia Polytechnic became Anglia Polytechnic University. Renamed Anglia Ruskin University in 2005, the institution has its origins in the Cambridge School of Art opened in 1858 by John Ruskin.
Cambridge is a small city with the beautiful architecture and majestic college buildings, museums and galleries. The quaint passages set around the historic market place and colleges offer a great opportunity to shop and relax in pubs, restaurants and cafes.
What to do and see: visit the official Cambridge tourism website.
Be prepared, what is important to know about Cambridge:
- Cambridge Currency: GBP
- Cambridge Telephone area code: +1223
- Cambridge Electricity (plug): Electricity in United Kingdom is 230 volts, frequency 50Hz, plug type G. Check out the type of plug.
- Cambridge Annual events: The Cambridge Science Week (Mar), Cambridge Summer Music Festival (May), Strawberry Fair (Jun), Cambridge Shakespeare Festival (Jul), The Cambridge Folk Festival (Jul), Cambridge Film Festival (Sep) and more.
- Cambridge Public holidays: check out on Government website.
- Cambridge Weather average:
Summer (Jun - Aug): 20°C - 25°C
Autumn (Sept - Nov): 15°C - 11°C - 8°C
Winter (Dec - Feb): 6°C - 3°C
Spring (Mar - May): 11°C - 15°C
Find information about transports in Cambridge on government website:
- In Cambridge, cycling is common means of transport.
- Getting around Cambridge: buses and punting.
- Taxis can be hailed from the streets.
- Living expenses
Top schools in Cambridge
© 2015 Information Planet