Study in London
London is the capital city of England and the United Kingdom, located in the south-east of England. It is the largest city, urban zone and metropolitan area in the United Kingdom. London is made up of two ancient cities - the City of London and the City of Westminster, which is now joined together.
The City of London or “the City“ is the business and financial heart of the United Kingdom. It is also known as “the Square“. It was the original Roman settlement (ancient Londinium), making it the oldest part of London and already 1,000 years old when the Tower of London was built. The City of Westminster is the place where Parliament and most of the government offices are located. Buckingham Palace, the official London residence of the Queen and the Royal family, is located there too. London was the first city in the world to have an underground railway, known as “the Tube“. There are over 100 theatres in London, including 50 in the West End.
More than 270 nationalities make up the fabric of the city and over 250 languages spoken in the city, making the capital the most linguistically diverse city in the world and giving it a cosmopolitan feel.
What to do and see: visit the official London tourism website.
Be prepared, what is important to know about London:
- London Currency: GBP
- London Telephone area code: +20
- London Electricity (plug): Electricity in United Kingdom is 230 volts, frequency 50Hz, plug type G. Check out the type of plug.
- London Annual events: Chinese New Year (Feb), Vodafone London Fashion Weekend at Somerset House (Feb), The Oxford and Cambridge University Boat Race (Mar), Virgin London Marathon (Apr), Chelsea Flower Show (May), Trooping the Colour: The Queen’s Birthday Parade (Jun), Hampton Court Palace Flower Show (Ju), Proms (Jul), Notting Hill Carnival (Aug), Open House London (Sep), BFI London Film Festival (Oct), The Lord Mayor’s Show (Nov) and more.
- London Public holidays: check out on Government website.
- London Weather average:
Summer (Jun - Aug): 22ºC ( 13ºC - 30ºC)
Autumn (Sept - Nov): 7ºC - 18ºC
Winter (Dec - Feb): 5ºC ( 2ºC - 7ºC)
Spring (Mar - May): 10ºC - 17ºC
Find information about transports in London on government website:
- In London, cycling is common means of transport.
- Getting around London: buses and rails.
- Taxis can be hailed from the streets.
- Living expenses
© 2015 Information Planet