Study in Washington DC
Washington, D.C., formally District of Columbia, is the capital city of the United States. It was founded in 1791 and named after the president George Washington. Washington, D.C. is a very important city – there is a seat of the President, Congress and the Supreme Court.
You won't find any skyscrapers here because any building can´t be higher than the Capitol. There are many historical buildings and monuments in the city including The White House, The Capitol, The Library and many more. Washington also hosts 176 embassies, there are headquarters of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.
Washington has 3 major natural flowing streams – Potomac River with tributaries the Anacostia River and the Rock Creek. There is also Washington Channel and Tidal Basin.
What to do and see: visit the official Washington tourism website.
Be prepared, what is important to know about Washington:
- Washington Currency: USD
- Washington Telephone area code: +1 202
- Washington Electricity (plug): Electricity in United States is 110-220 volts, frequency 60Hz, plug type A and B. Check out the type of plug.
- Washington Annual events: National Cherry Blossom Festival (Mar), Washington International Film Festival (Apr), Marine Corps Marathon (Oct) and more.
- Washington Public holidays: check out on Government website.
- Washington Weather average:
Spring (Mar - May): -1°C - 10°C
Summer (Jun - Aug): 18°C - 27°C
Autumn (Sep - Nov): 4°C - 26°C
Winter (Dec - Feb): -2°C - 9°C
Find information about transports in Washington on government website:
- Getting around Seattle: buses and rail.
- Taxis can be hailed from the streets.
- Living expenses
Top schools in Washington DC
© 2015 Information Planet